Allied Health Solutions Medical Group
Family Medicine Physicians located in Inglewood, CA
The Healthcare Professionals at Allied Health Solutions, with an office in Inglewood, CA, specialize in care for the elderly, and they have close relationships with several assisted care facilities in the Los Angeles area. However, you don’t need to be in assisted care to benefit from their expertise. Effective medical treatment may delay or avoid the need for extra care. Call today or book an appointment online to put the Allied Health Solutions team to work for you.
Elderly Care Q & A
What extra medical needs do elderly people have?
Many diseases and conditions that you may experience become more common with age. Eyesight and hearing loss, arthritis, cardiopulmonary diseases, and cancer all increase in risk simply due to getting older. That’s not to say any of these are inevitable, and if you do suffer from a condition, it’s often manageable with appropriate medical care. The Healthcare Professionals are your ideal point of contact, since they have referral relationships with local specialists that the elderly most often need.
What specialized care do elderly patients usually need?
Though every patient’s needs are unique, there are many ailments that occur more often as people age. Some of these medical disciplines include:
- Audiology –As many as one-third of people over age 65 have hearing loss.
- Ophthalmology – Cataracts, glaucoma, and age-related macular degeneration are common eye problems associated with age.
- Rheumatology –Rheumatoid and osteoarthritis are leading causes of mobility issues in the elderly.
- Endocrinology – For diagnosis and treatment of endocrine system disorders, including diabetes, thyroid, and adrenal gland problems
- Cardiology – Heart disease and stroke remain serious challenges for older patients as time takes its toll on the tissue of the heart and blood vessels.
- Neurology – Stroke survivors and those with dementia may benefit from specific neurologic care.
- Oncology – Since the risk of cancer rises with age, many elderly patients may need cancer specialists.
- Nutritionists – When older patients experience problems with chewing or appetite, working with a nutritionist may extend a senior’s ability to self-care.
- Geriatric psychiatry – The challenges of aging present unique psychiatric stresses, so when the need for mental health care arises, there is a specialist for the elderly in this discipline, too.
What is the advantage of going through my primary care physician to see specialists?
The Healthcare Professionals have an overview of your general health that specialists can’t match. This permits a level of oversight for your healthcare that may not otherwise happen. You trust your pharmacist to make sure that your medications don’t interact. Similarly, the Healthcare Professionals can give your specialist information about your health condition that may influence that doctor’s diagnosis. Your elderly care physician acts as your liaison with other medical disciplines.